Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Perkins-Tryon Public Schools



Ajax Loading Image


Student Transfers - Frequently Asked Questions

1. When does the transfer change take effect?
January 1, 2022.

2. Can my student transfer to a district where they do not reside?

3. When can I request a transfer for my student?
A parent or guardian may complete a transfer application at any time during the current school year.
Applications will be processed within 5 business days of receipt.
Applications for 2023-2024 will begin June 1, 2023. Administration will not approve or deny new transfers
received for the next school year until after the July 1 capacity data is determined for each grade level
and site within the school district.

4. How do I request a transfer for my student?
To request a transfer, simply complete the Student Transfer Application Form and submit to
transfers@p-t.k12.ok.us. Individuals who need access to technology to complete and submit the form can
visit the Perkins-Tryon Administration building located at 103 SW 2nd Street in Perkins, Oklahoma or at any
school site office. Paper copies of the form can also be picked up at the Perkins-Tryon Administration
building or at any school site office.

5. Is there a limit to the number of times my student can transfer each year?
Yes. A student may transfer only twice per school year. This limit does not include re-enrolling in your
district of residence. Additionally, students in foster care many complete any number of transfers in a given
school year and are not subject to the two-transfer limit.

6. How long does a transfer last?
Transfers granted after January 1, 2022, will be evaluated at the end of each school year. Parents will be
notified by May 15th each year if their transfer for the next year has been approved. Perkins-Tryon Public
Schools may deny continued transfer of the student for enrollment capacity, discipline or attendance.

7. On what basis might Perkins-Tryon Public Schools deny my transfer request?
Transfers may be denied for any of the following reasons:
a. The desired grade level at the school site has exceeded its enrollment capacity.
b. There are incidents of student discipline for reason(s) outlined in 70 O.S. § 24-101.3 and/or
c. The student has a history of absences, which is defined as ten or more unexcused absences in one
semester 70 O.S. § 8-101.2 (B)(2).

8. How do I know if Perkins-Tryon Public Schools has capacity for my student?
See chart on school webpage www.p-t.k12.ok.us for current capacity.

9. Are there any students who receive special consideration when applying for a transfer?
Yes. Transfer applications are distinct for the following student groups:

a. Students of Certified Employees: A child of a Perkins-Tryon Public Schools certified employee may
transfer into the District regardless of capacity. Under the law, the definition of a certified employee
includes teachers, nurses, librarians, counselors, and administrators who are certified employees.

b. Military dependent students: A student who applies for a transfer and whose parent/guardian is an
active member of the military or a member of the military reserve on active duty cannot be denied a
transfer because of capacity limitations.

c. Students in foster care: Any student in foster care currently placed in the home of another student
enrolled in a district may transfer to said district regardless of capacity. Additionally, students in foster care
many complete any number of transfers in a given school year and are not subject to the two-transfer limit.

d. Students with disabilities: Prior to the approval of the transfer of a child on an individualized
education program (IEP), a joint IEP conference must be conducted between the district of residence and
Perkins-Tryon Public Schools. Perkins-Tryon Public Schools must establish the availability of the appropriate
staff, and services prior to approving the transfer.

10. Can I appeal the denial of my student’s transfer request?
Yes. If Perkins-Tryon Public Schools denies a transfer, the parent or legal guardian of the student has 10
days to appeal the denial to the Perkins-Tryon Public Schools Board of Education. The Board must consider
the appeal at its next regularly scheduled board meeting. Perkins-Tryon Public Schools will provide the
appeal form. If the Board of Education upholds the denial of the transfer, the parent or legal guardian may
appeal the denial to the Oklahoma State Board of Education within 10 days of receiving notice of the
Perkins-Tryon Public Schools Board’s decision. The Oklahoma State Board of Education must consider the
appeal at its next meeting and allow both the parent and receiving district to appear.